When your immune system is working properly, it protects you against illnesses and infections. You feel good, productive and can go about your day doing what you love. But when your immune system isn’t strong enough to protect you, you find yourself fighting fevers, dehydration and lack of energy. Aging tends to weaken immune health, but there are ways you can combat that. With the right foods, you can give your immune system a much-needed boost and help you stay healthy.
Which Foods Will Boost Your Immune System?
Check out this list of foods that can boost your immune system and help you stay healthy:
- Citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, lemons and limes are great immune health boosters. These fruits are high in Vitamin C and help your body create more white blood cells, which help your body fight infections.
- Broccoli contains antioxidants and vitamins A, C and E. This is one of the best vegetable options to have with dinner that can boost your immune system.
- Ginger works to decrease inflammation in the body and can help reduce any nausea you may be feeling when sick.
- Yogurt is a great source of vitamin D, which helps regulate the immune system and helps boost your body’s natural defense against illnesses.
- Spinach contains vitamin C and antioxidants, and may help you increase your immune system’s infection-fighting abilities.
- Almonds are rich in vitamin E, which is imperative to maintaining a healthy immune system.
- Chicken Noodle Soup is high in vitamin B-6, which helps your body form new and healthy red blood cells.
- Garlic can help fight skin infections, bacteria and viruses.
- Red bell pepper contains high levels of vitamin C and is a rich source of beta carotene. Beta carotene helps keep your skin and eyes healthy.
- Pomegranate juice can help your body fight bacteria and several kinds of viruses.
How to Boost Your Immune System Naturally
Wondering how to boost your immune system naturally? Read these three tips on simple ways you can improve your immune system every day, beyond just eating the right foods:
- Stay Hydrated – Drink plenty of fluids to prevent yourself from becoming dehydrated. You should aim to drink 6-8 glasses of water per day.
- Get Enough Sleep – Getting an adequate amount of sleep every night can help strengthen your natural immunity and decrease your chance of becoming ill.
- Manage Your Stress – Relieving anxiety and stress through healthy activities is key to having a healthy immune system.
Virtual Nurse Visits
A virtual nurse practitioner visit is a great way to make sure you’re staying healthy without having to physically go to the hospital. By having a virtual visit, you eliminate the risk of exposing yourself to harmful germs and bacteria that can sometimes be found at your doctor’s office.
Virtual visits also allow you to speak to your nurse practitioner directly and in real-time, which helps them provide you with the care you need instantly. Contact your healthcare provider and set up a virtual appointment if possible, to help keep yourself healthy and your immune system up.
Stay Healthy at Episcopal SeniorLife Communities
At Episcopal SeniorLife Communities, your health and wellbeing is our top priority. We have a number of virtual programs currently being offered – consider joining us for a trial class! Contact us today to learn more about all of our programs and offerings.