Home > Blog > The Importance of Laughter for Seniors
Have you ever heard the saying, “Laughter is the best medicine?” Well it’s true – laughter has many benefits to your overall health. It draws people together, strengthens your immune system, helps to boost your mood, can improve your mental health and even help you to release any anger you might be holding in. As we age, we tend to laugh less frequently as life gets more serious. It’s important to take a step back sometimes and have a good laugh every now and then to improve your overall well-being.
8 Benefits of Laughter
Here are just some of the many benefits laughter can bring.
- It Improves Your Immune System. Positive thoughts often associated with laughter release neuropeptides that help fight stress and other illnesses.
- It Soothes Tension. Laughter can help stimulate circulation and relax your muscles. This can help reduce some of the physical symptoms that stress can have on your body.
- It Increases Endorphins. Laughing boosts your intake of oxygen-rich air, enhancing the endorphins that are released by your brain, and stimulating your heart and muscles. Endorphins work by triggering a positive feeling in your body.
- It Relieves Pain. Laughter can cause the body to make its own natural pain relievers that can help reduce any discomfort you might feel.
- It Reduces Blood Pressure. One of the most dangerous side effects of stress is high blood pressure. When you’re laughing, the amount of stress you feel decreases, in turn lowering your blood pressure.
- It Protects Your Heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow. This can help to protect you from heart attacks and other cardiovascular problems.
- It Helps Battle Depression. Laughter can help prevent you from becoming depressed. Laughter encourages you to have a positive mindset, which is highly important when it comes to living a happy and successful life.
- It Calms Stress Hormones. By reducing the level of stress hormones in your body, you’re also reducing the amount of anxiety and stress that impacts your body. This can also help boost your immune system and help you feel healthier overall.
Ways to Laugh More
Now that you’re familiar with some of the great benefits of laughter, here are a few different ways you can increase the amount of times you laugh a day.
- Share a laugh with friends and family. You’re more likely to laugh when other people are around than when you’re by yourself. Make an effort to call or video chat with a friend or family member once a week and just have a fun, lighthearted conversation.
- Watch a Comedy. You can watch your favorite comedy film, or even watch stand-up comedy free online to make yourself relax and enjoy a few laughs.
- Spend Time Doing What You Love. By participating in activities you enjoy, you’re sure to smile and laugh while doing them.
Live a Happy Lifestyle at Episcopal SeniorLife Communities
At Episcopal SeniorLife Communities, your health and well-being is our top priority. We offer residents a vibrant community that’s sure to make you smile and laugh each and every day. Also, through our Neighborhood Programs, you will enhance your life through exercise, fun and friendship. Contact us today to learn more about our Neighborhood Programs and our commitment to serve seniors wherever they live.