Home > Blog > Top Moving Tips for Seniors
Moving can be stressful at any age. But for seniors, making the life change to downsize from a home that holds many memories can be especially difficult. And this can make the process of moving feel even that much more overwhelming.
Senior Moving Tips for a Stress-Free Move
Making the move to a new home or a senior living community should be an exciting time, not a stressful one. Want to make the process of moving a smooth one? Here are our top moving tips for seniors:
- Plan for your new space. Instead of focusing on your old home, focus on your new one. What must-have items from your house would you like to bring? Where will they fit? How will you arrange your furniture and décor? What new pieces would you bring? Taking the time to answer questions like these before you even pack a single item can help put you at ease and get you excited for your next chapter.
- De-clutter before you pack. Before you start filling moving boxes, make sure you’re only moving things you actually need and that will fit in your new space. We all generate a lot of clutter over the years. And taking the time to de-clutter first can make packing a much more efficient process.
- Start early & do a little at a time. Packing up a whole house is time consuming and tiring. Give yourself plenty of time to get the job done and be sure to pace yourself. Just knowing you have the time you need to get everything packed how you’d like can immediately reduce the stress of moving.
- Hire a reputable moving company. Take the time to review moving companies and look for moving companies that specialize in helping seniors downsize. Knowing you have a reputable company helping to pack and move your belongings can go a long way at putting your mind at ease.
- Focus on the future. Every move in life signals the start of a new chapter. So while you’re sorting and packing your belongings, take the time to focus on the future and what this next chapter holds for you. For those downsizing to a senior living community, this could mean focusing on things like worry-free living, easy access to the activities you enjoy or even the opportunity to meet new people.
But one of the best moving tips for seniors is to be sure to enlist the help of family and friends. This not only makes the process faster and more fun, but far less stressful!
Helping Seniors Start the Next Chapter at Episcopal SeniorLife Communities
At Episcopal SeniorLife Communities, we make it easy for seniors to downsize to a community that fits their lifestyle, needs and goals for their next chapter in life. We offer a range of living options all designed to help seniors stay active and independent no matter what their age, and our neighborhood programs serve older adults living throughout Monroe County. Contact us today to learn more about our community options and services.